If you’re seeking residency or citizenship in the United States, you’ll need to go through the process of immigration. It can be long and complicated, but having a good immigration lawyer by your side can make it much more manageable.
At Jezic & Moyse, our primary focus is you and your family. Our immigration lawyers are experienced and will be by your side every step of the way to ensure a smooth process. You have enough on your plate – let us take care of the legalities so that you can focus on what’s important. For a consultation, contact us today.
Process of becoming a legal resident or citizen
There are a few different ways to become a legal resident or citizen of the United States. Family sponsorship, employment sponsorship, or refugee/asylum status are the most common.
- Family Sponsorship: A family member who is already a legal resident or citizen of the United States can sponsor you.
- Employment Sponsorship: If you have a job offer from a U.S. employer, they can sponsor your residency or citizenship.
- Refugee/Asylum Status: If you are fleeing persecution or conflict in your home country, you may be eligible for refugee or asylum status in the United States.
Once you have been sponsored or have obtained refugee/asylum status, you will need to go through the process of applying for a green card. If you plan on getting a Green Card through employment, family, or as a special immigrant, USCIS states that you will need to have someone file a petition for you.
After filing the petition, you must attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate and provide additional documentation before issuing your Green Card. The entire process, from start to finish, can take several months to a few years, depending on your circumstances.
Benefits of Hiring an Immigration Lawyer
There are many benefits to hiring an immigration lawyer, especially if you are going through the process alone. A good lawyer will be able to:
- Help you understand the process and what you need to do
- Answer any questions you have about the process
- Help you gather the necessary documents
- Help you prepare for your interviews
- Represent you in court, if necessary
- Negotiate with USCIS on your behalf
Legal Desire states that an immigration lawyer helps your application processes run smoothly and efficiently by adding credibility to your case and avoiding potential delays. It is critical, as any delays in the process could result in you starting over from the beginning.
Immigration cases we can help you with
At Jezic & Moyse, our immigration lawyers have experience with various cases. We can help you with:
- Green card applications: This includes applying for a green card through employment, family, or as a special immigrant. World notes that most Green Card applications take between 7 and 33 months to be processed.
- Citizenship applications: We can help you with the process if you seek citizenship through naturalization.
- Employment-based immigration: We can assist you with the process if you want to work in the United States.
- Family-based immigration: If you want to reunite with your family in the United States, we can help make that happen.
- Refugee/asylum status: We can help you apply for refugee or asylum status if persecuted or in a conflict in your homeland.
- Deportation defense: If you or a loved one is in danger of being deported, we can assist you in taking legal action.
The processing times for these applications vary, but we will do everything we can to ensure a smooth and speedy process.
We’re the immigration lawyers who make the process easy
Hiring an immigration lawyer might be quite advantageous if you apply for permanent residency or citizenship in the United States. A skilled lawyer will understand the procedure well and will be able to assist you at every stage of the process.
The immigration lawyers at Jezic & Moyse have years of experience helping clients achieve positive outcomes. If you want to learn more about the services we provide, go ahead and read through our client testimonials.
If you’re finding the immigration process tough, our team is happy to help. We understand how important it is for you to be able to live and work in the United States, and we will do everything we can to make that happen. Get in touch with us today to get started.