Protective & Peace Order Lawyer in Silver Spring, Maryland

Are you in need of legal representation and support after being issued a protective or peace order in Silver Spring, Maryland? For the best in legal services, look no further than Jezic & Moyse. Our dedicated team of professional lawyers has many years of experience navigating the tricky terrain that comes with a protective or peace order. So you can rest assured your case is in the right hands. 

Beyond our commitment to providing top-notch service, what sets us apart from other law firms is our passion for fighting for our clients. We know how difficult it can be to navigate these situations, and we will do everything in our power to ensure that justice is served and that you get the support you deserve. 

Whether providing insights into your case with detailed assessments or fighting for you every step, feel confident you’re getting help from your attorneys, making sure your voice is heard during this difficult situation. 

How can a protective order in Silver Spring, Maryland be filed against you?


A petition must be filled out correctly

The complainant shall obtain forms of petitions for protective orders from any circuit District Court clerk or District Court commissioner in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Bring the petition to the court

For peace orders against a person 18 years or older, file the petition with a circuit or district court clerk during regular business hours. They can file an electronic protective order petition from a hospital, vulnerable adult program, child advocacy program, domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking assistance program.

When the petition is filed electronically, a video conference will be used to conduct the hearing for the Temporary Order. A judge will direct the requesting party to the courtroom once he is available. In the absence of a judge, commissioners may issue Interim Peace and Protective Orders until a hearing is held. Upon serving an interim order against you, the order becomes effective.

Suppose you are under 18, the Juvenile Services (DJS) shall be responsible for your case. A petition for a peace order may be filed by a petitioner or an employee subjected to qualifying acts you allegedly committed.

A temporary hearing will be held

Answering questions under oath is essential when appearing before a judge. A temporary order is granted upon finding reasonable grounds to believe the respondent committed the alleged acts. Generally, the order lasts seven (7) days unless a judge extends it once a law enforcement officer serves the respondent with it.

The final hearing will be held

Usually, seven (7) days after the order is served, a final hearing is arranged. Both sides may present evidence at the hearing. 

Suppose the court determines that you committed the alleged acts against the petitioner by a preponderance of the evidence at trial. In that case, the judge may still make a final decision in this case. In lieu of a trial, you may consent to the entry of a final order.

How long will the protective order against you be granted? 

  • One (1) year is the maximum duration of a Final Protective Order. After a further hearing, an additional six (6) months may be granted if there is a good reason for doing so.
  • The same person eligible for relief may have a Final Protective Order granted for up to two (2) years if they previously obtained one against the same respondent, provided that there was a prior order for at least six months or if abuse was committed against the person seeking relief after the order’s expiration.

We will protect you and your family

Jezic & Moyse is a law firm specializing in protective orders. We understand what you’re going through, and we’ll work hard to get the best outcome for you and your family. Our lawyers are experienced in handling these types of cases, and we will work diligently to help you with protective & peace order. Contact us today for a free consultation about how we can help you protect yourself from false accusations of domestic abuse.

Scroll to Top